The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is no longer printing and mailing licenses as of July 1, 2016. Check our website under “search for a license” to view your license or to see if a pending licensure transaction has been processed. Our website version of your license is considered your official license record.
Due to the large volume of requests, transactions in the summer take a minimum of four to six weeks to process. Please do not contact our office to check the status of an application unless it has been longer than six weeks.
In order to best serve Iowa educators by processing transactions in a timely manner, licensure consultants will not be available by phone until after 10:00 a.m. during our busy summer months.
You can use this link to access incomplete/unsubmitted applications if you don't have the email the system sent when you started an application in our online system.
The mission of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is to establish and enforce rigorous standards for Iowa educational practitioners to effectively address the needs of students.
- that an effective licensure system is efficient, innovative, and responsive to needs of students and educators.
- in collaboration with other organizations to improve professional development and preparation programs.
- that education is a profession.
- that establishing ethical standards protects students and practitioners.
- The Board will develop rules for practitioner licensure that maintain high standards, are research based, and provide flexibility in attainment in all credential types, especially in shortage areas.
- The Board will develop a plan to require ongoing ethics training for all licensees.
- The Board will develop a communication plan for the dissemination of information to its constituent groups.
It is the policy of the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status or national origin in its programs or employment practices. If you have questions or grievances related to this policy, please contact the Executive Director, Board of Educational Examiners, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0147, Telephone: 515.281.5849.