Professional Service License - Frequently Asked Questions
- Who does this license pertain to?
Individuals who have been prepared in educational service professions but have not completed the professional education core. (e.g. School Psychologist, Speech Language Pathologist, School Social Workers, Guidance Counselors).
- Why is this being done?
For clarification to individuals practicing in professional services and school and AEA Administration to the extent of their services and to align with the rules related to a “Teaching” license. Since individuals in this category have not completed the Professional Core of education, they are unable to add teaching endorsements to their license nor may they substitute teach or add an Administrative Licenses.
- If I have a teaching license with a teaching endorsement and an endorsement in one of these areas such as counseling, will I receive two licenses-one teaching and one professional service for counseling?
No, if you hold a teaching license with both a teaching endorsement and a counseling endorsement, you will not receive a new professional services license with counseling. Your counseling endorsement will stay on your teaching license.
- What authority does this license grant?
The authority to practice the education related profession in Iowa Schools and AEA’s.
- Can any other endorsements be added to the license?
Additional Professional Service endorsements may be added to his license (e.g. add a Guidance Counselor to a license with School Social Work). Supervisor Special Education/ Support Services, and Director of Special Education may be added to this license. If either endorsement is added, the Evaluator endorsement may be added. If the Evaluator endorsement is added, the Evaluator Renewal is required for renewal of the license. Content Teaching areas (K-12 TAG, K-8 Reading, or 5-12 Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate) may not be added to this license.
- Will this license move through an Initial/Standard/Master license track?
No, there is an Initial and a Standard Professional Service license. Two years of successful experience in a public school or AEA and meeting the 8 Iowa Teaching Standards (as they have been modified for the specific profession) will be required for the conversion from an Initial to a Standard Professional Service License. Three years experience will be required for out-of-Iowa or Non-Public school experience.
- What will the renewal requirements be?
Four college/university/AEA renew credits and the updated Mandatory Child/Adult Dependent Reporter certification will be required to renew the Standard Professional Service License.
- When do all licenses with these endorsements convert over to this new license?
The Board of Educational Examiners is in the process of converting all licenses with no Professional Core preparation with endorsements in School Psychology, Speech Language Pathology, School Social Work, Guidance Counseling endorsement over to the new Professional Service License. The Database will be converted and each individual will be able to view his/her license on the BOEE web site. New paper licenses will not be issued. Upon renewal, a new license will be printed and sent to the applicant indicating the new Professional Services License. This conversion will be complete by October 31, 2009.
- By converting, do these individuals lose authority?
No, each profession will still be able to practice their profession in schools and AEA’s.
- Can individuals who hold a Professional Service License be granted an Administrative License with a Principal endorsement?
Individuals who have completed the requirements for a Professional Service License may be granted an administrative license upon completion of the following requirements:
- Complete an approved program in administration which includes the principal endorsement requirements
- Complete the professional educational core requirements in an approved teacher education program
- Complete three years of experience in a K-12 setting/AEA in the professional service area listed on the professional service license