Who We Are

What We Do


Consumer Tips and Information

How to Dispute Credit Reporting Errors

If you have been denied credit, insurance, or employment because of information that was supplied by a credit reporting agency, the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires certain disclosures be made to you.

Requesting Your Credit Report

  • Your creditor is required to give you the name and address of the credit reporting agency that supplied the information on which your request was denied. The credit report is free if you contact the agency to learn what is in your file within 30 days of receiving the denial. If you have recently been denied credit, you should immediately contact the creditor in writing to let the creditor know that you would like to see a copy of your report.

Reviewing Your Credit Report

  • Once you receive a copy of this report, you should check it carefully for completeness and accuracy. If you feel your report is not correct, you should notify the credit reporting agency in writing that you believe the report is incorrect. Provide the credit reporting agency with your complete name and address. Clearly identify each item in your report that you believe is incorrect and explain in writing why you believe the information is incorrect and request that the information be deleted or corrected. You should also send along copies of any documents that you believe support your position.
  • Send the written response to the credit reporting agency by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy of the letter that you sent, along with any additional documents that you included with the letter.

Consumer Complaint Form

To request further information or to file a complaint, write to:
Attorney General's Office
Consumer Protection Division
Hoover Building
1305 E. Walnut
Des Moines, IA 50319

Also visit the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Credit Section of their web site