Iowa Civil Rights Commission
June 27, 2002
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
ICRC Office Building
Commissioner David Leshtz, Chair, called meeting to order.
Present were Commissioners David Leshtz, Alicia Claypool, Dinh VanLo and Constance Gronstal via conference telephone. Also present were Corlis Moody, Executive Director, Ron Pothast, Business Manager and Araceli Goode, Executive Secretary.
Members of the Press or public were not present.
Motion was made by Commissioner David Leshtz to approve the May 9, 2002 Commissioners’ Meeting Minutes as presented. The motion passed unanimously.
The Chair, David Leshtz, and other members of the Board welcomed Commissioner Dinh VanLo.
Commissioner Constance Gronstal -
Spending Plan submitted and approved. The Buyout and Early Retirement Options offered to staff. If staff accepts the options, layoffs may not occur.
Sexual Orientation Forum Committee Report by Commissioner Alicia Claypool
Co-Chairs: Commissioners Alicia Claypool and Maria Waterman
Action: Explained how/ why the committee was established - harassment directed toward Gay Youth. Then outlined the result of the meeting held June 27 and requested feedback from the Commission on the proposed direction of the BLGT Youth Forum Planning Committee.
1. Opportunity to have a resource table at the SAI Conference in August – Kathy Collins doing a presentation on current legal issues facing schools. She will refer to SO issues and will mention that the Resource packet is available as well as a sign up sheet to request further information. Approximately 200 packets planned for distribution. The packet includes student stories, legal information, resource lists, staff development /resources, National Organizations list, newspaper articles and article on diverse religious beliefs.
2. Second Project for November – IASB Conference – Have a panel made up of parent, student, school board member and member of legislature to present/answer questions. Discussion would be in the context of how acceptance affects self-esteem, respect and achievement. SO is a new frontier that needs to be addressed. Resource packet and sign-up sheet would also be available.
3. Possibly video produced using new and existing material from Public Television.
4. The planning committee has decided to go with a Forum format, a hearing in two parts (information given in first part and listening to public in the second part) rather than a facilitated discussion or focused conversation processes previously used by the Dept. of Education, ISEA and IASB.
1˝-hour - presentation
15 minutes - break
1˝ hour - Q/A session
5. July 16 Commissioner Claypool will be on the agenda of the Local Human Rights Annual Meeting in West Des Moines to discuss this initiative.
After discussion, Commissioners approved direction of sub committee.
No Old Business discussed.
No New Business discussed.
Next meeting date and location: August 8, 2002, 10:00 AM in Davenport. Commissioners will discuss the meeting schedule and occurrence for fall and winter.
The meeting adjourned at 11: 30 AM.
Minutes submitted by Araceli Goode, Executive Secretary