Licensure by Examination
The licensure exam consists of two components: North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE). To be eligible for a license by examination, the candidate must pass both components (with a total scaled score of no less than 75) within a period of one year beginning with the date the candidate passed an initial component. A candidate may request waiver or variance from this deadline pursuant to the procedures and requirements of 657—Chapter 34.
Candidates who fail either component two times shall not be permitted to sit for that component again until the Board has approved the candidate's written application. Those candidates are encouraged to obtain additional training prior to reapplication and retesting.
Application for Examination — Requirements.
- Iowa Board of Pharmacy: Complete either the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Application for Licensure by Examination or Iowa Board of Pharmacy Application for Licensure by Examination (Score Transfer) application according to the directions and submit it, along with a fee of $252, to the Iowa Board of Pharmacy, 400 SW Eighth Street, Suite E, Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4688. The application must include one current photograph of a quality at least similar to a passport photograph.
- North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination™ (NAPLEX®) : You may apply for the NAPLEX online on the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy's Web site at www.nabp.net using a credit card payment fee process.
- Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination™, Iowa Edition (MPJE®): You may apply for the MPJE online on the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy's Web site at www.nabp.net using a credit card payment fee process.
- The NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin is available in a PDF format, from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy's Web site, www.nabp.net. A hard-copy version of the Bulletin is no longer published. The electronic Bulletin's active links allow candidates to move quickly and easily to different sections throughout the document.
- Each applicant must furnish a "Certification of Pharmacy Education" form stating that the applicant has successfully graduated from a recognized school or college of pharmacy. This form is to be completed by the Dean of the College of Pharmacy.
- Proof of 1500 hours of internship must be filed with the Iowa Board. Applicants who graduated from an out-of-state college of pharmacy and completed the internship requirements of that state are deemed to have satisfied Iowa's internship requirements. The applicant shall submit documentation from the out-of-state internship program certifying completion of that state's requirements. Applicants who graduated from a colleges of pharmacy located in states with no formal internship training program shall submit documentation from that state's board of pharmacy or college of pharmacy certifying that the candidate has completed all prelicensure training requirements.
Contact email@example.com for questions or to request the necessary forms.