How to Amend
Questions? E-mail Us!
2006 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to Iowa Department of Revenue individual income tax e-filing choices
graphic link to topic index of 2006 Iowa individual income expanded instructions
graphic link to line index of 2006 Iowa individual income tax expanded instructions


Amended returns will take at least six months to process.

To amend a 2006 return or a return for a prior year, use an IA1040X. Attach the Federal 1040X and any amended supplementary Federal or Iowa forms.

If your original return requested a refund, wait until you receive your refund before filing an amended return to make sure you made no errors on your original return.

If you owe additional tax with the amended return, calculate the tax, penalty and interest due and include both your check and the IA 1040-V Payment Voucher with the amended return. You may make your tax payment online through ePay (direct debit) on our Web site or with a credit card.

No penalty for additional tax is due if you voluntarily file an amended return and pay all tax due prior to any contact by the department. However, interest will be due.

Do not send amended returns with the current-year return.