No W-2?
graphic link to 2008 Iowa income tax expanded instructions for 2009
Questions? E-mail Us!
2009 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to I-R-S Code
graphic image to translation web site
graphic link to Iowa e-file choices
graphic image to topic index of 2009 Iowa income tax instructions by topic
graphic link to 2009 Iowa income tax instructions by line number

What to do if you do not receive your W-2

Each year many Iowans do not get W-2s from their employers by the January 31 date required by the IRS.

  1. If you have moved, call your employer with your new address.
  2. If you still have a problem, first go back to your employer and try to find out why you have not received the W-2.
  3. You may also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. They will work with you and explain the steps needed to receive a substitute W-2.

    Iowa will accept a copy of the substitute W-2 filed with the IRS. However, the substitute W-2 may not show Iowa withholding. No credit for Iowa withholding can be given in this case unless you have pay stubs that show Iowa withholding.

  4. If you filed a return with the IRS for the year that you can’t find your W-2, you can fill out federal form 4506 (request for copy of tax return). Your copy will include W-2s and any state withholding tax. The IRS may charge a fee for this service.