How to Amend
graphic that says Iowa 2010 Expanded 1040 Instructions
Questions? E-mail Us!
2010 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to I-D-R home page
graphic link to Iowa Tax Research Library
graphic image and link to topic index of 2010 Iowa income tax instructions by topic graphic link to 2010 Iowa income tax instructions by line number
graphic link to I-R-S Code
graphic link to I-R-S forms
graphic image to translation web site graphic link to Iowa e-file choices


Amended returns usually take at least six months to process.

To Amend Electronically

Use State Only software. Simply file and transmit an “original” return.  We will code it as “amended” once it arrives.

Note: Prior year returns cannot be amended electronically.

To Amend on Paper

To amend a 2010 return or a return for a prior year, use an IA 1040X or the appropriate-year IA 1040 with the word "Amended" written at the top. Include an explanation of the change(s). Attach the federal 1040X and any amended supplementary federal or Iowa forms.

If Your Original Return Requested a Refund

Wait until you receive your refund before filing an amended return to make sure you made no errors on your original return.

If You Owe Additional Tax With the Amended Return

Calculate the tax, penalty and interest due, and include both your check and the IA 1040V payment voucher with the amended return. You may make your tax payment online through ePay (direct debit) on our Web site or with a credit / debit card.

No penalty for additional tax is due if you voluntarily file an amended return and pay all tax due prior to any contact by the Department. However, interest will be due.

Do not send amended returns with the current-year return.