No W-2?
graphic that says Iowa 2010 Expanded 1040 Instructions
Questions? E-mail Us!
2010 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to I-D-R home page
graphic link to Iowa Tax Research Library
graphic image and link to topic index of 2010 Iowa income tax instructions by topic graphic link to 2010 Iowa income tax instructions by line number
graphic link to I-R-S Code
graphic link to I-R-S forms
graphic image to translation web site graphic link to Iowa e-file choices


Each year many Iowans do not get W-2s from their employers by the January 31 date required by the IRS.

If you have moved:

Call your employer with your new address.

If you simply have not received it:

See your employer and try to find out why you have not received the W-2.

If you still do not receive it:

You may also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. They will work with you and explain the steps needed to receive a substitute W-2.

Iowa will accept a copy of the substitute W-2 filed with the IRS. However, the substitute W-2 may not show Iowa withholding. No credit for Iowa withholding can be given in this case unless you have pay stubs that show Iowa withholding.

If you need a W-2 from a previous year, here are some other possible options:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) - will provide copies of Forms W-2 for retirement purposes at no charge and for other than retirement purposes for a fee. Call 1-800-772-1213, or visit the SSA web site at for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - will provide an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return with attachments (including the form W-2). You should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions. A fee will be charged for each tax year requested.