How to Amend
2011 Expanded Instructions
Questions? E-mail Us!
2011 Expanded Instructions Home
IDR Home
IA Tax Library
Topic Index Line Index
IRS Code
IRS Form
Translate eFile Fast


Paper filed amended returns may take a minimum of six months to process.

To Amend Electronically

Use State Only software. Simply file and transmit an “original” return.  We will code it as “amended” once it arrives.

Note: Prior year returns cannot be amended electronically.

To Amend on Paper

To amend a 2011 return or a return for a prior year, use an IA 1040X or the appropriate-year IA 1040 with the word "Amended" written at the top. Include an explanation of the change(s). Attach the federal 1040X and any amended supplementary federal or Iowa forms.

If Your Original Return Requested a Refund

Wait until you receive your refund before filing an amended return to make sure you made no errors on your original return.

If You Owe Additional Tax With the Amended Return

Calculate the tax, penalty and interest due, and include both your check and the IA 1040V payment voucher with the amended return. You may make your tax payment online through ePay (direct debit) on our Web site or with a credit / debit card.

No penalty for additional tax is due if you voluntarily file an amended return and pay all tax due prior to any contact by the Department. However, interest will be due.

Do not send amended returns with the current-year return.