Consumer's Use Tax
Questions? E-mail Us!
2012 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic to click to go to IDR e-file choices
graphic to click to go to 2003 topic index
graphic to click to go to 2003 expanded instructions line index

Information for Businesses and Individuals

Do you purchase items from out of state or from catalogs, magazines, or vendors who advertise on television or radio, or through the Internet? Will those items be used in Iowa? Would they be subject to Iowa sales tax if purchased in Iowa?

Are you paying tax on those purchases? If not, you owe Iowa use tax on the purchase price.

If you purchase tangible property for use in Iowa and the seller does not charge you Iowa tax on the purchase, you owe a 6% tax known as the consumer's use tax on the price of the purchase.

This tax was established in 1937, three years after the sales tax was enacted, to create a fair playing field for Iowa businesses. The rate of the consumer's use tax is always equal to the state sales tax rate.


Individuals without a permit who rarely make purchases subject to consumer’s use tax should pay their tax in one of the following ways:

Make check payable to: “Treasurer State of Iowa”

Anyone who regularly purchases merchandise from out of state for his or her own use in Iowa should register for a consumer’s use tax permit and pay the tax on a quarterly basis.


Businesses making taxable purchases on a regular basis should register with our Department to file consumer's use tax returns. However, some businesses may only occasionally make purchases for their own use and owe Iowa consumer's use tax. If this type of purchase is not typical for your business, instead of separately registering for consumer's use tax, you can report the purchase on Line 2 "goods consumed" of your quarterly sales tax return or file and pay the tax as outlined for individuals above.

For more information, see our Consumer's Use Tax publication.