Line 44
graphic link to 2008 Iowa income tax expanded instructions for 2009
Questions? E-mail Us!
2009 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to I-R-S Code
graphic image to translation web site
graphic link to Iowa e-file choices
graphic image to topic index of 2009 Iowa income tax instructions by topic
graphic link to 2009 Iowa income tax instructions by line number


A lump-sum distribution occurs when, in one tax year, you receive the total balance from the pension or profit-sharing plan of an employer due to termination of employment, termination of the plan, or death of the employee.

Iowa lump-sum tax applies only if IRS form 4972 was used to compute the federal tax on any portion of the lump-sum distribution. If there is no federal lump-sum tax, then there is no Iowa lump-sum tax.

IOWA RESIDENTS: Enter 25% of the federal tax from IRS form 4972 on line 44 of the IA 1040. Attach federal form 4972.

PART-YEAR RESIDENTS: If a lump-sum distribution reported on federal form 4972 was received while an Iowa resident, 25% of the federal tax from form 4972 must be entered on line 44. Part-year residents who receive a lump-sum distribution while not an Iowa resident are not subject to Iowa lump-sum tax on that distribution. A copy of the federal form 4972 must be attached.

NONRESIDENTS: Nonresidents receiving lump-sum distributions are not subject to Iowa lump-sum tax.

Married Separate Filers (including status 4): Lump-sum tax is reported by the spouse who received the distribution.

Go to Line 43

Go to Line 45