Social Media Policies
State of Iowa departments and agencies use social media to present matters of public interest to the citizens of Iowa and to enhance communication between the public and the State. Social Media Sites are for informational purposes only. Please visit our website for official information, https://iowa.gov.
We strive to foster engaging, productive conversations. To that end, we encourage you to submit questions and comments. We also encourage you to submit photos and videos to showcase what is happening between the public and the State. However, please note that visitors are responsible for what they post on this site. Any views or opinions expressed in visitor-posted content reflects the views of the comment’s author and are not the official views of the State of Iowa.
We will try to respond to questions on this site as frequently as possible. However, we cannot promise we will respond to any or all questions posted on this site. To ensure your question, comment, or concern is addressed please contact us at IowaFeedback@iowa.gov.
We monitor all comments and content visitors post on social-media sites to ensure all content is constructive and suitable for all viewers, while respecting a range of opinions and points of view. Social media is a 24/7 medium. However, we cannot monitor comments 24/7. Moderation will take place during the State’s normal business hours. We reserve the right to remove any comments or content that fail to comply with our Personal Conduct policy, below. We also reserve the right to suspend comment privileges of anyone who violates these rules.
When the State follows or “friends” persons or organizations, it is not an endorsement by the State of Iowa, but instead is intended to facilitate communication between the State and the person or organization. Additionally, some links on this site may lead to external resources. These links should not be interpreted as an endorsement by the State of Iowa of these sites or their content, viewpoint, accuracy, opinions, policies, products, services, or accessibility.
We reserve the right to delete a comment or other content if:
- It is not topically related to the content being commented on;
- It is obscene;
- It visually depicts sexual conduct by children;
- It is directed to incite or produce imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action;
- A reasonable person, familiar with the context, would interpret the content as a serious expression of an intention to inflict bodily harm;
- It contains a commercial message that is either misleading or relates to unlawful activity;
- It compromises the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- It contains private personal information or private medical information of any person, such as social-security numbers, phone numbers, or home addresses;
- It infringes on any copyright or other legal ownership interest of any other party;
- It is comprised of malicious code that contains a virus, worm, defect, trojan horse or any other item of a destructive nature that may interfere or disrupt the State of Iowa’s technology services, servers, computer systems or networks.
Privacy and Public Records.
Please note that all content posted to this site is public information and available to everyone. If you post any personal content, you do so at your own risk.
We are required to comply with Iowa Code Chapter 22 (Public Records Law) and ensure government is open and that the public has access to public records and information of which the State is the custodian. To that end, we automatically collect and store all information you post on this site. All information you post on this site may be subject to public disclosure under chapter 22, even if we have previously deleted it from the site for a violation of our Personal Conduct policy.
We may also share information you post on this site with other state agencies for governmental purposes, including improving state government services. The information is not collected for commercial marketing purposes and we do not sell or distribute this information for commercial, educational, or promotional use.
Some of our social-media platforms have social-sharing enabled. This function allows site visitors to “like” or “share” our pages or posts on our site. Visitors to our site may be able to see who has shared or liked our pages our posts on our site. However, site visitors may not be able to see any information about people who have liked or shared our pages or posts on our site, unless they are friends with them on the respective social-media platform. The State does not collect or have access to any of this personal information.
Please review additional State of Iowa policies, which apply to social media.