Hunting seasons are set by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) by type of animal. The DNR also sets the bag limits.
A complete list of all animals, bag limits, and season dates is found on the DNR website.
An interactive atlas showing public hunting locations is available here: Public Hunting Atlas (arcgis.com)
Find these hunting season dates:
- Migratory Game Bird Season
- Small Game and Upland Hunting Season
- Trapping & Fur Harvesting Season
- Turkey Hunting Season Dates.
- Fall Hunting: Bow and Gun Shooting, and Archery Only.
- Spring Hunting: Youth (Iowa residents only), Bow and Gun Shooting, and Archery Only.
- Nonresidents can only apply for Spring Hunting. Nonresident hunting applications are available in December
More about Deer Hunting
Methods of hunting are archery, muzzleloader, and gunshot. Shooting hours for all deer seasons are half-hour before sunrise to half-hour after sunset.
Antlerless hunting is in counties where tags are still available on January 10 each year.
The nonresident deer application period is the first Saturday in May through the first Sunday in June. The non-resident deer guide (pdf) is available in December.