If you are at least 14 ½ years old, you can apply for a minor school license (school permit). 

You need to successfully complete a driver’s education course and have a clean driving record for at least six months. Other restrictions apply.

Learn more about the School Permit

Related Agency - Iowa Department of Transportation


800 Lincoln Way, Ames, IA 50010

General Phone: (515) 239-1101